This module is designed to familiarize students with concept of cancer registry and cancer registrar. It will also provide an overview of oncology coding and staging system (ICD-O-3, the MP/H rules) focused on coding clinical information from medical records
It is the systematic collection of data of all the events of a cancer patient starting from presenting complaint to diagnosis till treatment and post-treatment follow-up. Cancer Registry is used to establish and maintain a cancer incidence reporting system, which tracks the number of new cancer cases diagnosed, also serves as an information resource for cancer research, and provides information to assist public health officials and agencies in planning and evaluating cancer prevention and cancer-control programs.
This course features practical coding exercises to enhance your skills and validates proficiency in the correct application of medical codes in an inpatient hospital or facility as per international standards.
Prerequisites For Training: Masters in life sciences with basic knowledge of anatomy and medical terminologies.
Training Availability: Access is available for one (1) month from the registration date.
- To introduce pediatric cancer registration and reporting system
- Use of ICD-O-3 for Morphology and Histology coding
- Introduces the student to the phases of clinical evaluation, diagnostic tests, staging cancer, and treating cancer that are part of a pediatric cancer patient’s medical journey
- To understand Medical and anatomical terminology that is commonly used in the cancer setting as well as the fundamentals of what cancer is and how it forms.
- review the most common types of pediatric cancer,
- Knowledge and skills necessary to successfully abstract and report quality pediatric oncology data.
- Familiarizes students with what is contained in the medical record, what a source document is, and the challenges of working with the medical record.
Module 1: Cancer Basics
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomical Terminology
- What is Cancer?
Module 2: The Pediatric Cancer Patient
- Clinical Evaluation
- Diagnostic Test
- Cancer Staging
- Treating Cancer
Module 3: Introduction to Pediatric Cancer
- Leukemia (Cancer of the Blood)
- Lymphoma: Cancer of the Immune System
- Brain Tumors
- Solid Tumors – Cancer of the Bone, Organs, or Tissue
Module 4: Introduction to Clinical Data Abstraction
- The Medical Record
- The Data Abstraction Process
- Data Quality
Case Study Assessment
Module 5: Cancer Registry
- Introduction to Cancer Registration
- Basics of Cancer Registry
- Coding Rules of Cancer Registration
- Staging, Treatment and Follow Ups
Certificate of completion:
To receive the certificate of training, candidates must successfully complete the training within 6 months or less with a score of 80% or higher on the knowledge assessment test.
Internal Candidates: PKR 10,000 (Non-refundable)
External Candidates: 15,000 (Non-refundable)
Self-paced online module with weekly discussion sessions.
- Yumna Syed
Last Date of Registration : March 10, 2023
For More Information:
Telephone: 021 – 511 2709 – 17 (Ext 2741, 2920)