This program comprises of two separate training programs; Advanced medical coding training and Cancer registry training.
This advanced ICD medical coding training is designed to teach the fundamentals of medical coding and to advance coding skills by reviewing clinical concepts of commonly treated conditions to help readily assign the correct codes and efficiently work with clinician. This training helps establish careers in a financially rewarding field because successful medical coding requires that a patient’s diagnosis justifies the service or procedure the provider performed. The data extracted from coding is used for many purposes including reimbursement and quality and population health reporting.
Medical coding is the transformation of healthcare diagnosis, procedures, medical services, and equipment into universal medical alphanumeric codes. The diagnoses and procedure codes are taken from medical record documentation, such as transcription of physician’s notes, laboratory and radiologic results, etc.
Medical codes translate that documentation into standardized codes:
- Patient’s diagnosis
- Medical necessity for treatments, services, or supplies the patient received
- Treatments, services, and supplies provided to the patient
- Any unusual circumstances or medical conditions that affected those treatments and services
Medical coding is performed all over the world, with most countries using the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), the common system of codes that classifies every disease or health problem. ICD is maintained by the World Health Organization and modified by each member country to serve its needs. ICD has been updated periodically to reflect new discoveries in epidemiology and changes in medical understanding of the disease. The currently used ICD is its 10th revision.
Coding professionals review and assign International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) and International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Procedure Coding System (ICD-10-PCS) codes to inpatient hospital records.
This course features practical coding exercises to enhance your skills and validates proficiency in the correct application of medical codes in an inpatient hospital or facility as per international standards.
Prerequisites For Training: Masters in life sciences with basic knowledge of anatomy and medical terminologies.
Training Availability: Access is available for three (3) months from the registration date.
- Understand clinical concepts for comprehensive coding of conditions.
- Obtain insight on chronic and acute conditions.
- Understand ICD Procedures coding.
- Review the guidelines and accurate ICD-10-CM/PCS coding for the conditions and procedures.
- Introduction to the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Classification
- The Medical Record as a Source Document
- Navigate ICD-10 with Alphabetic Index, Index to Diseases and Injuries, Table of Neoplasms, Table of Drugs and Chemicals, Index of External Causes of Injury and Tabular List
- Basic ICD-10-CM Coding Steps
- ICD-10-PCS Root Operations in the Medical and Surgical Section
- Z Codes and External Cause of Morbidity Codes
Application of chapter-specific coding guidelines for the following conditions and associated diagnoses:
- Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defined Conditions
- Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
- Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic System Conditions
- Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism
- Circulatory System Conditions
- Respiratory System Conditions
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions
- Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue Conditions
- Advanced Coding for Urinary System Conditions
- Integumentary Systems
- Diseases of the Ear and Mastoid Process
- Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa
- Pregnancy Conditions
- Neoplasm Conditions
- Poisoning, Toxic Effects, Adverse Effects, and Under-dosing of Drugs
- Complications of Surgery and Medical Care
Certificate of completion:
To receive the certificate of training, candidates must complete the training within 3 months or less with a score of 80% or higher on the knowledge assessment test.
Internal Candidates: PKR 25,000 (Non-refundable)
External Candidates: 50,000 (Non-refundable)
Self-paced online module with weekly discussion sessions.
- Saba Danish
For More Information:
Telephone: 021 – 511 2709 – 17 (Ext 2741, 2920)